(Сообщение закроется через 2 секунды)

> Talks in English, Практика общения на Английском
spy
сообщение 11.5.2010, 10:32
Сообщение #1

Психопат
Иконка группы

Спасибо сказали: 264 раз(а)

Hey people! For a taste of things to come, let me do a brief introduction (consider slovari.yandex.ru for translation).

This thread is intended for practicing written English and strengthening your skills, its idea comes from there: http://forum.netbynet.ru/index.php?showtopic=70919). You may talk on any topic whatsoever as long as you abide by the forum rules and moderators' will. You are welcome to bring on any legitimate subject.

Also, I urge you to follow another single rule: please try to keep it solely in English, even when asking for help with grammar or translation, - this additional complication surely will aid your ability to communicate in a real English-only community which we will try to imitate. I can assume a role of your fellow native, just fancy that I never spoke Russian. happy.gif

All that said, I shall start a simple topic. How about we "meet" each other and exchange some basic info? Here's mine. My name is Aleksey, I'm 21 years old and I'm finishing my 4th year in Moscow Aviation Institute. However, my real major interests lay well aside aviation - IT. I am pretty much self-educated and am going on this way quite nicely, be that IT aforementioned or English or whatever else. Okay, this much should do, now your turn to introduce yourself, please.

Note: if you want me to correct your mistakes - ask away. But don't expect proper explanation, because I possess little knowledge on grammar rules. I talk mostly intuitively by using patterns and phrases I learned. This is the same case as with Russian - my writing is correct, but I don't know the rules, I kinda "feel" how to put it right.

Сообщение отредактировал spу - 11.5.2010, 12:26

+Цитировать сообщение
I_feel_good
сообщение 11.5.2010, 22:24
Сообщение #2

Привыкающий

Спасибо сказали: 15 раз(а)

Hi All,
I'm not as good in English as my colleague but I think you will forgive me. Whenever you see mistake in my post feel free to correct me. I would be grateful for that.

In the beginning let me introduce myself. I'm 22 and I'm a last year student in Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. Interesting thing is the fact that my call is programming. I work for a big international company developing soft for telecommunications operators. I really like it despite the fact that in my opinion my salary is not decent enough. My hobby is billiard and I'm fond of watching formula 1 races.

I appreciate spy for starting this thread and hope this idea will develop and our community will grow fast =)

+Цитировать сообщение
spy
сообщение 12.5.2010, 1:04
Сообщение #3

Психопат
Иконка группы

Nice to see a fellow coder here. I used to head towards a career of programming too, but changed my mind a while ago, now in doubt choosing between enterprise networking and datacenter engineering. Well, I will certainly make up my mind in a year or so. However, still I'm fluent with applied C programming in Unix-like environments. What kind of software (here's a fix - you don't shorten "software" to "soft" in English) do you develop and in what languages?

+Цитировать сообщение
Falcon
сообщение 12.5.2010, 10:01
Сообщение #4

Местный

Из: Город-герой Москва! Орнет
Спасибо сказали: 31 раз(а)

Hi all!
My name is Eugeny, in depends of you i'm quite old - 27 years. I've finished to study english grammatic in 11 grade, so now it's very bad. But in my experience it's better to speak simple english to avoid any misunderstands, because your opponent also could be not so good in communication.
If we will back to our topic - i have one but important question: how author planning to fix big grammatic problems? I mean if i have a lot of mistakes, it's not easy for you to indicate and fix it. And also there are a lot of ways to show one idea, one conception and it also adds additional questions about correct writing.

--------------------
Это все потому, что я до чужого добра жадный!

+Цитировать сообщение
MaxBlack
сообщение 12.5.2010, 13:56
Сообщение #5

Форуман

Из: :εN
Спасибо сказали: 215 раз(а)

Hi guys! Another programmer reporting in )

I'm 24 years old, year ago I graduated from Baumansky State Technical University. To be honest I'm not a pure coder, because my specialty is rockets and cannons laugh.gif But I always wanted to be a programmer, since I was good at it in school times. So I studied php by myself, was involved in a few web-projects.
Yet I almost passed first year of postgraduate study as a nuclear physicist, english exam is as soon as at 19th may)
Today I'm coding with C++ in win32 environments. Making some success with it. Frankly I'm engineer and a coder in one of labaratorys of Russian Scientific Space Institute. I like my job and prospect)

P.S. feel free to correct me, I will appreciate it.

+Цитировать сообщение
I_feel_good
сообщение 12.5.2010, 17:17
Сообщение #6

Привыкающий

Цитата(spу @ 12.5.2010, 2:04) *
What kind of software (here's a fix - you don't shorten "software" to "soft" in English) do you develop and in what languages?

I'm fond of Java, never think of memory leaks and never feel ashamed for stupid mistakes/miprints as "if (a=0) {//never get here}".
Some time ago I had to write some small module using Python. Had a lot of fun, it has a lot of syntactic sugar but sometomes more than I really need (I mean layout based code interpretation, it's crazy idea).

I think we should wait a little for some new people (probably not from IT crowd and hopefully girls) join us and talk about everyday life issues. Just don't want to scare a rest of people in this forum who wants to join us but got scared or bored with my post =)

+Цитировать сообщение
MaxBlack
сообщение 12.5.2010, 18:32
Сообщение #7

Форуман

Из: :εN
Спасибо сказали: 215 раз(а)

Well, we aren't bound by IT theme only )
What about recent holiday? What were you guys doing?) I had a trip to Sergiev Posad, my friend was to celebrate her birthday(it is on 9th may) and she invited us there) It was pretty cool, but, for the weather was hot (: D), we spent most of the time in cafe and later in park, sitting on banks) Then we went back to Moscow to watch fireworks) Some people say, that it wasn't that great this year.)
I have few more stories to tell, but that's it for now)

+Цитировать сообщение
spy
сообщение 12.5.2010, 23:08
Сообщение #8

Психопат
Иконка группы

Цитата(Falcon @ 12.5.2010, 11:01) *
how author planning to fix big grammatic problems?
Well, I don't really plan to do so. We better focus on talking, and everyone will be gradually refining their grammar just by reading and writing. Correcting each mistake would be hell, wouldn't it?

Цитата(Oin @ 12.5.2010, 19:32) *
What about recent holiday? What were you guys doing?)
Me and my friends broke onto a 16-storey building rooftop and had a good sit there with beer and weed. Although, such time-spending is a routine for me, thus nothing special. Oh, and the fireworks weren't that great indeed.

Good to see this thread working out, guys.

+Цитировать сообщение
nes_qq
сообщение 12.5.2010, 23:17
Сообщение #9

Привыкающий

Из: Москва, Соколиная гора
Спасибо сказали: 5 раз(а)

Hey guys! I don't know english (only from online chats of games), but want say to spy that this thread is very good idea!

+Цитировать сообщение
I_feel_good
сообщение 12.5.2010, 23:34
Сообщение #10

Привыкающий

Цитата(Oin @ 12.5.2010, 19:32) *
What about recent holiday? What were you guys doing?)

Especially nothing unusual. Doing my graduate work, listening to reports of 3-rd year students in my university, playing billiard with a friend of mine. Great dinner in the evening and watching fireworks sure. I think firework was good enough.
Anyway I'm glad to see new members of our jolly crowd. Ness_qq, welcome =)

Сообщение отредактировал I_feel_good - 12.5.2010, 23:35

+Цитировать сообщение
nes_qq
сообщение 12.5.2010, 23:58
Сообщение #11

Привыкающий

Из: Москва, Соколиная гора
Спасибо сказали: 5 раз(а)

Цитата(I_feel_good @ 13.5.2010, 0:34) *
Anyway I'm glad to see new members of our jolly crowd. Ness_qq, welcome =)

thanks! I like this thread happy.gif

ps: spy or anyone please correct me here pardon.gif
Причина редактирования: Follow the rules, please

+Цитировать сообщение
Falcon
сообщение 13.5.2010, 9:13
Сообщение #12

Местный

Цитата(spу @ 13.5.2010, 0:08) *
Well, I don't really plan to do so. We better focus on talking, and everyone will be gradually refining their grammar just by reading and writing. Correcting each mistake would be hell, wouldn't it?

Of course you`re right. Now everything is clear for me.

Цитата(spу @ 13.5.2010, 0:08) *
Oh, and the fireworks weren't that great indeed.

It seems that it was big mistake to miss it. I was in my country house and didn't see and didn't do anything interesting during that holiday.

2 I_feel_good Regarding Formula racing - what do you thing about chances of Petrov and Shumacher during this season?

--------------------

+Цитировать сообщение
I_feel_good
сообщение 13.5.2010, 10:20
Сообщение #13

Привыкающий

Цитата(Falcon @ 13.5.2010, 10:13) *
what do you think about chances of Petrov and Schumacher during this season?

I'm totally amazed by Petrov's perfomance in China and Schumacher's race in Spain but in Monaco the main clue for the victory is qualification. Mercedes should tune their car for better one lap perfomance. Let's see how well they will manage to do it =)
However I think we will see two Red Bull cars at the top well ahead of the rest of peloton. Adrian Newey is a genius.

Сообщение отредактировал I_feel_good - 13.5.2010, 10:21

+Цитировать сообщение
coldsky
сообщение 14.5.2010, 4:57
Сообщение #14

Форуман

Из: г. Москва
Спасибо сказали: 354 раз(а)

Цитата(nes_qq @ 13.5.2010, 0:17) *
Hey guys! I don't know english (only from online chats of games), but want say to spy that this thread is very good idea!

Good day to everybody. I agree with nes_qq and also think, that talks in English is very good idea. Language I know not very good, thats why sorry for me if I made some mistakes.
Now I'm at the holidays and very glad to good and warm weather - it looks like summer. Behind me there is a bottle of beer and now I think to play Need For Speed. I know: driving a car is prohibited, if you drank alcohol wink.gif - but it's only game. smile.gif

--------------------

+Цитировать сообщение
Falcon
сообщение 14.5.2010, 12:04
Сообщение #15

Местный

2 coldsky
Hmm... As i can see your post was written about 6 a.m. Quite early for bear or too late - it depends of when to start drink smile.gif Why you are on holiday? Some special schedule of work? Anyway you're lucky one - i'm only dreaming about rest.

--------------------

+Цитировать сообщение
coldsky
сообщение 14.5.2010, 12:35
Сообщение #16

Форуман

Цитата(Falcon @ 14.5.2010, 13:04) *
Hmm... As i can see your post was written about 6 a.m. Quite early for bear or too late - it depends of when to start drink smile.gif Why you are on holiday? Some special schedule of work? Anyway you're lucky one - i'm only dreaming about rest.

Maybe too late (I'm not sleep at this night). Besides, I wake up is so late. lazy.gif
Holidays give me at my work - it's my rest, but only for 1 week.
And what about you - why you only dreaming about the rest? Becaming a summer - time for the rest.
I was at my work In bit time at the past. And my boss told to me, that he present at the summer one more week to have fun holidays.

--------------------

+Цитировать сообщение
I_feel_good
сообщение 14.5.2010, 15:57
Сообщение #17

Привыкающий

Guys, do you read books in English? What kind of books do you prefer? What is your favourite one?
I'm readying 'Syrup' by Max Barry at the moment. It is awesome. Author tels the story of a guy whose only dream was to become rich and famous. And he chose Coca-Cola Company to make his dream true. The book is full of jokes. Very funny. I would recomend it to anyone =)

+Цитировать сообщение
spy
сообщение 15.5.2010, 3:40
Сообщение #18

Психопат
Иконка группы

Цитата(nes_qq @ 13.5.2010, 0:17) *
Frankly, this is my case exactly - I learned English in chatrooms. I figured this one simple rule: the more you talk the more you learn, with little to no regard to your initial skill. That's why I always advise "talk" before everything else. IRC did a great job for me (I had even become a moderator and then a full-blown netadmin after three weeks of talking on an average network - something to show off tongue.gif), so you can follow my steps: learn some more about IRC, learn about different networks, join a few, find interesting channels and talk! I'm dead sure everyone of you will do great at learning English this way if you find an interesting and friendly IRC community and talk there daily.

Цитата(I_feel_good @ 14.5.2010, 16:57) *
Guys, do you read books in English?
I only read the whole Harry Potter series in English, plus a rather boring novel I don't even remember which I found on a banket while awaiting boarding in the JFK airport in NYC. I would really love to read more, no matter in what language it be, but I either don't have enough spare time, or fail to get myself interested in whatever I read. All I read is technical documents, lots and lots of them, ranging from Unix manual pages to IBM Redbooks and similar documentary volumes of HP, Sun/Oracle, etc. I'm a tech geek, after all...

I_feel_good, your English is quite good, as I can see. Talk more, polish it!

Oh, I wondered... got any Linux/Unix enthusiasts out there? 'Cause I am so, and I'd be glad to discuss Unix topics in English. Aaaand, how about drugs? Studying and using drugs is among my major hobbies.

Also, guys, I want you to keep this thread going on - help it - talk here. Please pay it as much effort as you can. I'm not always around, and I don't want to be deemed the one "in charge" here, overseering and fueling it. I will try to help and post regularly, but your interest is much more important!

+Цитировать сообщение
coldsky
сообщение 15.5.2010, 4:24
Сообщение #19

Форуман

Цитата(spу @ 15.5.2010, 4:40) *
...I'd be glad to discuss Unix topics in English.

At this days I was tryed to run Avast under Kubuntu Linux 8.04, enter license number amd antivirus run perfectly well. But, when I make updates vieus databases - Avast was closed. After it I tryed to run using avastgui form command line, from desctop and from terminal - this AV don't want to work. sad.gif
I don't know reason, but think, that the reason is spoiled HDD. FSCK isn't want to run. So, right way - is change HDD. good.gif

--------------------

+Цитировать сообщение
spy
сообщение 15.5.2010, 10:34
Сообщение #20

Психопат
Иконка группы

You describe it too vaguely - I can't even tell anything...

Let's go step-by-step:
1. What makes you think the HDD is the problem?
2. Even if so, what's wrong with fsck? What does it output? What exit status does it yield?
3. What filesystem is employed?
4. What happens upon starting avastgui? What does it output, any errors? What's the exit status?

For the rest of our fun, let me fix your mistakes, all of them, and show everyone how tiresome it is:
Цитата
These days (no "at" when referencing days/months/years + plural form of "this") I tried (past simple tense + trailing "y" becomes "i" before any endings, like "spy/spies/espionage" or "cry/cries") to run Avast under Kubuntu Linux 8.04, entered a (still past simple tense, don't lose it after a comma + you forgot an indefinite article) license key (license number is somewhat different) and the (talking about a certain AV, thus put a definite article) antivirus ran (again, it's in past simple... don't lose track of your current tense!) perfectly well. But (no commas after "but") when I updated virus databases (past simple! + "update" can be a verb itself, so use it that way), (comma here, not a dash) Avast had closed (passive voice was unnecessary, put active voice + past perfect tense, because the update that caused Avast to close has happened earlier in past). After that ("it" refers to something, an entity, you can't use it as a point of time reference, so use "that" instead) I tried to run it / Avast (to run what? - always put an object you're talking about, or it will sound as in you ran yourself, lol) using avastgui from command line, from desktop and from terminal (dude, what's the difference between "from command line" and "from terminal"? ain't that the same thing?) - this AV doesn't ("does" instead of "do" in singular third person - he/she/it) want to work. I don't know a reason, but I (actually you can omit "I" here, but it's not neat and is frowned upon) think (no comma between "think that", surprise surprise, this isn't Russian) that the reason is a broken ("spoiled"? no, wrong word, and you keep losing articles) HDD. FSCK doesn't (aux. verb "is", a form of "be", is used only in progressive tenses, but here is just present simple, thus put "do") want to run. So, the (they say it "the right way" with a definite article, no idea why, just remember it) right way is (here you either put a dash "-" or put "is", but never both) to (the verb "change" here is infinitive, and all infinitives must be preceded by "to") change the (you mentioned this particular HDD before, thus "the" for article) HDD.
Such hell, eh?! That's why I'm not up to correcting and explaining every mistake. Nevertheless, folks, I could rewrite any portion of your posts the right way as above, BUT without commenting mistakes, only highlighting them at most. Ask if you want so.

coldsky, you're a talkative one and you can make yourself clear in English, even with all these mistakes. Stay by, talk more and it will improve your skill. It's not that difficult to make it as fluent as mine, really. I paid quite little effort myself, had only enough time to do it for me.

Bring in more people, folks!

Сообщение отредактировал spy - 9.5.2012, 1:58

+Цитировать сообщение

5 страниц V   1 2 3 > » 
Ответить в данную темуНачать новую тему